Can You Believe Our Cover Art?

November 10, 2007

The explosively talented Lea Hernandez just finished the cover art for Can I Sit With You?. I was so overwhelmed by the color, beauty, and details that I almost cried. Those shoes, people. Those are hand-crafted clay shoes. Please spend a long time poring over the picture and drinking in all the detail work, and being amazed once more by all the volcanic talents who have donated their work to Can I Sit With You?.

Can I Sit With You? Cover Art

By the way, Can I Sit With You? is participating in NaBloPoMo. In between stories and announcements, we'll post your one- or two-paragraph descriptions of the silliest thing you ever did to get someone to be your friend. I posted yesterday; see if you can top my absurdity!

Posted by Shan & Jen at 10:51 AM  

6 comments:

That is a very neat picture! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...
10/11/07 3:18 PM  

Hi! I came over from NaBloPoMo. I'm challenging myself to comment on as many blogs as possible this month as well as post.

I LOVE it! Very, very cool!
I also love the idea of this site. Wish I had something like this when I was growing up.

Happy Posting!

Zee said...
10/11/07 11:01 PM  

What a very cool project you're involved with here. I hope it changes lives, in a big, big way someday.

Anonymous said...
11/11/07 10:32 AM  

Incredible detail. What inspired this compassionate scene?

It reminds me that perhaps a copy of this book would be nice to have in the children's library at the hospital where I work.

~Kelleen

LoftyMinded said...
13/11/07 11:05 PM  

The detail is very moving, particularly the "Badyear" brand tire. I am very touched. I am another Nablopomo participant. Your mission and (dare I call it) ministry will have a powerful impact when your book is published; the blog clearly is doing so already. Make sure you make the 'usual' talk circuit! People *need* to HEAR.

Rebecca said...
16/11/07 8:46 AM  

Kelleen: it was inspired by many different details of the various CISWY stories. I worked to make sure viewers could bring their own stories to the piece--who is asking whom for company, is the kid on the left bald from rebellion, chemo, what? What do they each have that attracts the other?
Also, no depicting richer better than poorer, dark less than light, vice versa, and so on, and all without being bland or safe!
I will hope teachers will use the cover as a catalyst for essays, and the stories within to inspire kids to write their own.

Rebecca: thank you. Badyear was initially just wiseassery, but it turned out to be perfect for the piece.

DivaLea said...
16/11/07 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment