Go Ahead, Jump!

November 25, 2007

by Seymour Rosenberg
Age twelve at the time

In 1983, California's largest almond growers' concern sent me and the rest of my Catholic School's eighth grade class on a field trip to Sacramento. Woo-hoo!

As you know, you are the music you listen to, even in eighth grade. I liked Gary Numan, Pat Benatar, and the Talking Heads, but none of my classmates did. Even so, I wanted the cool kids to think I was one of them and come hang out with me. I'd seen them scribbling "Van Halen" all over their Pee-Chee folders and notebooks, so I bought a Van Halen painter's hat and wore it on the bus. And it actually worked! Several people came and sat with me, saying, "I didn't know you liked Van Halen!"

So began many fruitless years of trying to achieve coolness points through musical means.

(At least the hat matched my blue and red corduroy OP shorts.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment